This thought-provoking and enlightening book uncovers unknown but true facts about Maimonides, his family, and his unique, often controversial, but brilliant ideas. The reader is introduced to Maimonides’ family, people who generally failed to share his rational approach to life.
The book addresses provocative questions such as:
- did the majority of Jews before Maimonides believe that God has a body?
- Why did Maimonides and many rabbis disparage women?
- Why did Maimonides extol intelligent non-Jews?
- Why don’t Jews say a prayer before such activities giving charity?
- Why doesn’t the Torah condemn the five suicides committed in its pages?
- Why were Jacob and David passive when their daughters were raped?
This volume contains surprising facts, such as:
- Jewish judges do not adjudicate cases according to Torah law.
- Many rabbis recognize that the ten plagues were not miracles.
- The Torah records how innocent people are killed for the misdeeds of their ancestors.
Maimonides: Reason Above All
Dr. Israel Drazin served for thirty-one years in the US military and attained the rank of Brigadier General. He has two Masters, in both psychology and Hebrew literature, a PhD in Judaic Studies, and is an attorney and a rabbi.
He developed the legal strategy that saved the military chaplaincy when its constitutionality was attacked in court, and he received the Legion of Merit for his service.
Dr. Drazin is the author of twenty-five books, including a series of five volumes on the Aramaic translation of the Hebrew Bible, which he co-authored with Dr. Stanley M. Wagner, and a series of three books on the twelfth-century philosopher Moses Maimonides, the latest being Maimonides: Reason Above All.